Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bonding with Jane: My Journey

Ahh, yes! 
Sense of achievement despite a long list of other to-do's: check!
I finally finished reading the mere 175 pages of Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. 

I have had a longtime connection with Jane Austen but this is the first time I've finally gotten to finish a novel of hers.
I'm pretty sure it all started with The Jane Austen Book Club which intrigued my fancy by the parallels of the lives of the movie's characters and those of Jane Austen's books (so I recorded it to the DVR & added it to my "I should really get around to watching that" list).
After that, I resolved to read all the books so I would get the in's and out's of the comparisons.
Before I managed to pick up any of the books, I watched Sense and Sensibility, the movie starring Kate Winslet [Mildred PierceTitanic] as Marianne, Emma Thompson [Nanny McPhee, Love Actually, Harry Potter series] as Elinor, Alan Rickman [Love Actually, Harry Potter series as Snape]as Colonel Christpoher Brandon, and Hugh Grant [Did You Hear About the Morgans?, Music and Lyrics, About a Boy,] as Edward Farrars. 
That was a really great film with absolutely fantastic cinematography.
Even the trailer gives me chills.


Then, to further set me off from reading the book, I watched Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway [The Princess Diaries,Love & Other Drugs] and James McAvoy [Wanted, AtonementX-Men: First Class]. 

At this point, I looked up to Jane Austen in a kind of weird way. 
I already had The Works of Jane Austen with four of her novels.
All I needed to do was read. 
So, eventually, I did. 


The thing with Jane Austen's writing is that the words truly do portray her real world.
Her flow is so like poetic and beautiful.
The emotions she explains to us are common today but never expressed so eloquently.
The timelessness of certain types of relationships stands, not limited by neither geography or time.


Finally, I've finished Sense and Sensibility.
Here are some ideas that stick with me: 
1. Although I usually understand where Elinor is coming from, 
sometimes I feel just as Marianne, 
"with a heart hardened against their merits, and a temper irritated by their very attention"
and sometimes that feeling is hard to shake but I've never seen or heard it so well put. 
2. The type of astonishment that leads to being "happily disposed as is the human mind to be easily familiarised with any change for the better, it required several hours to give sedateness to her spirits, or any degree of tranquility to her heart".
3. The words of Mrs. Jennings"Nothing in the way of pleasure can ever be given up by the young men of this age".


 Now, I'm working on finishing up Maya Angelou's Letter to My Daughter.
Have you ever read any Jane Austen? What are you reading now?
Have you watched any of these movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :) xoxo Maya