Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hidden Treasures

Although I have been living on-campus for three years, two of which in an apartment fully equipped with a kitchen, I have yet to get any dinnerware that I can say is completely my own. You know the feeling, it's easier to just grab the extras from home, especially in a situation when moving in can be slightly [read: extremely] stressful.

So, when yesterday I stumbled across these precious finds at TJ Maxx, I could not resist! Having only one criterion for any bowls or plates that I would get [which is they are not plastic], I came back home with owls, a funky pattern, flowers, and lovely words to carry me through the next school year.


Yes, I did get one bowl of owls and one of the teal, yellow, etc. pattern. I think I'm going for an eclectic collection; I haven't completely figured it out yet. Although I think getting one of each does alleviate my issue with having to make an exclusive decision between the two.
What kind of a question is that? Choose between one of my newly-favorite animals that also reminds me of Hedwig and Harry Potter or a bowl that seems to attract my eyes with its eccentric and imperfect design [the rim is not a perfect circle]!? I mean, I could have missed out on the "Mayan Jewel"! Yepp, that's right! The blue bowl had "Mayan Jewel" written on the bottom of the bowl underneath the price sticker which I think makes it destined for my kitchen, no?

Ever had an item call out your name while shopping?

The plates were on sale for $2 each so I got the last two because I figured people can always use some poetry at meals. On the plate, around the flower and bird, is the first two and a half lines of "Sonnet 43" of Sonnets from the Portuguese [published in 1850] by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."


It's a beautiful poem and even the way the book came about is the most romantic thing.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote all 44 sonnets in the book that largely chronicled the period leading up to her 1846 marriage to Robert Browning, English poet and playwright. While she was uncomfortable with the idea of publishing such personal poems, her husband encouraged her to share her poetry, insisting it was the best sequence of English-language sonnets since Shakespeare's time. For some privacy, Elizabeth published the sonnets under a title disguising the poems as translation of foreign sonnets; thus, Sonnets from the Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :) xoxo Maya